An Introduction to Publicity Matters
Publicity Matters is a multi-award winning Durban-based, women-owned business specialising in promotion, public relations, media liaison and publicity.
It is best known for working in the area of civic events; arts and culture; social justice, and sports and leisure.
It was established in 1995 with two partners – Sharlene Versfeld and Illa Thompson.
Since 2001 the company is now run by Illa Thompson, with her sister, Sophie Thompson and various specialist service providers, interns and associates.
Publicity Matters was awarded:
- Won inaugural Arts and Culture Publicists of the Year; 1998
- Finalist Arts and Culture Publicists of the Year; 2001
- Finalist Arts and Culture Publicists of the Year; 2002
- Won Arts and Culture Publicists of the Year; 2003.
- Awarded “Impact” award at the Durban Fools Award in 2003
- Awarded 2005 “Judges Award” at the Durban Theatre Awards
- Writing general media releases for submission to local press, radio and television and email-based media
- Submission of photographs and press releases to media
- Motivating for and setting up interviews with media and attending thereto
- Supporting the clients presence on social media
- Motivating and setting up photographs with local media for main body of newspapers / social media
- Motivating for and arranging for for competitions to be run in local media
- General media liaison
- Project managing poster and flier distribution as well as liaising with designers
- Together with the client, assisting in the drawing up invitation lists of local celebrities, media and VIP guests suitable for functions – sports, theatre and social celebrities
- Sending out invites and processing / receiving RSVPs
- Attending to guests and press at functions
- Liaising with ticketing agent where necessary
- Managing FOH / box office at events
- Liaising with the venue management on behalf of client;
- General administration, organisation and function co-ordination
- Together with ad agency, design and placing of advertisements in relevant media